» From home near Boston to Phoenix
Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am by ChasingSanity

» Carthage Press 2014 July 1 with Rebecca Haines
Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - June 2012
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:45 pm by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - April 2012
Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - March 2012 (United Kingdom)
Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:53 am by ChasingSanity

» A REAL space catapult in my lifetime?!
Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:48 pm by ChasingSanity

» Prose and poetry
Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - February 2012
Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 am by ChasingSanity

» My Journey - January 2012
Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 am by ChasingSanity

Shopmotion

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

My Journey - before September 1st

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Journey - before September 1st

Post  ChasingSanity on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:53 pm

I am amazed at how well preparations are coming together for my trip. Many things are beyond my control. I am leaving at the end of August - beginning of September no matter how ready or unready I am. I will learn and equip myself as I go and going is the first step.

Some people really expect me to fail and die. Starvation, over-exposure to weather extremes, mugging, rape and murder are how my end is painted. Slavery, getting hit by a car, falling off a cliff and disease were not mentioned, I came up with them on my own. Smile

I expect to succeed. I expect to take as much time as I need to ride my bicycle to the east coast, fly across to Europe, ride around there, take a train from Istanbul to the Orient, ride around there, take boats from the Orient to the islands and Australia and ride around there. I expect all that.

How will I possibly pay for all that? I will work. Besides, what is 'all that'? I do not like hotel beds nor restaurant food. I love 'side of the road' stuff - fruits and vegetables, breads and cheeses. Meats taste good too but they are more likely to make me feel sick. If I am healthy, with enough water and food in me and adequately equipped then chances are I am happy. All of my possessions will wear out. I expect to repair or replace them as need be. I expect to work as opportunity presents itself. I am an honest, hard worker.

It has been my experience that most people are too busy with their own lives to mess with mine.

PREPARING TO LEAVE
I sorted through everything Carole, my ex-wife, and I owned looking for anything that might be useful. Carole paid me a little to pack up a lot of her things to meet Joes standards for becoming a roommate. Norma Jean, my next door neighbor also paid me to pack up her things, put them in a POD (a big metal box that is dropped off in front of your house, stored and moved to your new house) and unpack them at her new house. At the same time I was packing for myself, Carole and Norma Jean I also ran errands on my bicycle around town on my bicycle getting ready to go.

I packed four school style backpacks full with dry bags bought from Walmart and filled with things I thought I might use. I also packed a box shaped bike bag, the biggest fanny pack North Face ever made, a CamelBak RimRunner, an under the seat bike bag and two homemade PVC pipe containers. I planned to leave at the end of August but stayed in town for the REI sale on September 1st.
ChasingSanity
Admin

View user profile http://biketoaustralia.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top